linking to equations

Robert Belford

Hi All,

I used to link to equations by adding the \label{} tag to the eq in the LaTex,, and then calling it with the \ref{} tag.  I used actual numbers, like "15.2.1" and not script like \Pagendex{1}

My question is, what is the best way to link to an equation?

Cheers and thanks,

IMHO if you are not going to link to every eqn, place an anchor.
Regards
Josh Halpern

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 4:27 AM Robert Belford <rebelford@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I used to link to equations by adding the \label{} tag to the eq in the LaTex,, and then calling it with the \ref{} tag.  I used actual numbers, like "15.2.1" and not script like \Pagendex{1}

My question is, what is the best way to link to an equation?

Cheers and thanks,

For intrapage references, use the \label and \ref infrastructure. That handles remixing best.

For interpage references, anchors and links work the best, but you can use the label/ref system too.

I don't recommend hardwiring the equation numbers or using \PageIndex in equation referencing.

Robert Belford

Can you use the label/ref system so that is captures the autogenerated number for equations created with \[ eq \]?

If so, how?  All the examples I had seen were using hand coded eq numbers

thanks,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 9:57 AM Delmar Larsen via groups.io <delmar=libretexts.org@groups.io> wrote:
For intrapage references, use the \label and \ref infrastructure. That
handles remixing best.

For interpage references, anchors and links work the best, but you can
use the label/ref system too.

I don't recommend hardwiring the equation numbers or using \PageIndex in
equation referencing.

No. You have to explicitly label the equation you are referring to. Otherwise, it will be a mess if you add or subtract an equation on your page. = very fragile system.