linking to equations

Robert Belford

What is the best way to link to an equation, where the link has the equation number and it gets changed if someone reuses the page?  I thought we used to use labels, but I want to say, according to eq. 17.1, do this....  And if some reuses it, allow the numbering to realign.

Should I be using \label{xyz} to tag the eq, and \ref{xyz} to call it?

and does that then work if someone else reuses it?

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 3:40 PM Robert Belford via groups.io <rebelford=ualr.edu@groups.io> wrote:
What is the best way to link to an equation, where the link has the equation number and it gets changed if someone reuses the page?  I thought we used to use labels, but I want to say, according to eq. 17.1, do this....  And if some reuses it, allow the numbering to realign.

Seeburger, Paul (Mathematics)

Bob,

These do work great within the same page and they do renumber appropriately when transcluded, etc.

But there is not a very good method in place yet (that I am aware of) for referring reliably to equations or theorems in other sections of a book.  I think anchors and links have been used, but it's somewhat fragile, as it only works within a single book and breaks (or behaves in a likely undesirable way) when transcluding sections.  That method also does not auto-renumber the equation labels.

Paul

Paul Seeburger

Professor of Mathematics

Monroe Community College