linking to equations

Robert Belford

What is the best way to link to an equation, where the link has the equation number and it gets changed if someone reuses the page?  I thought we used to use labels, but I want to say, according to eq. 17.1, do this....  And if some reuses it, allow the numbering to realign.  

--
Dr. Robert E. Belford
Professor
UALR Department of Chemistry
501 916-6540

Robert Belford

Should I be using \label{xyz} to tag the eq, and \ref{xyz} to call it?

and does that then work if someone else reuses it?

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 3:40 PM Robert Belford via groups.io <rebelford=ualr.edu@groups.io> wrote:
What is the best way to link to an equation, where the link has the equation number and it gets changed if someone reuses the page?  I thought we used to use labels, but I want to say, according to eq. 17.1, do this....  And if some reuses it, allow the numbering to realign.  

--
Dr. Robert E. Belford
Professor
501 916-6540

--
Dr. Robert E. Belford
Professor
501 916-6540

Seeburger, Paul (Mathematics)

Bob,

These do work great within the same page and they do renumber appropriately when transcluded, etc.

But there is not a very good method in place yet (that I am aware of) for referring reliably to equations or theorems in other sections of a book.  I think anchors and links have been used, but it's somewhat fragile, as it only works within a single book and breaks (or behaves in a likely undesirable way) when transcluding sections.  That method also does not auto-renumber the equation labels.

Paul

Paul Seeburger

Professor of Mathematics

Monroe Community College

1000 E. Henrietta Rd.

Rochester, NY  14623

585-292-2946

https://sites.monroecc.edu/multivariablecalculus/ (NSF Project website)

https://c3d.libretexts.org/CalcPlot3D/index.html (NSF Project Visualization JavaScript App)

From: main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io <main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Belford <rebelford@...>
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 4:45 PM
To: main@libretexts-constructionforum.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Libretexts-ConstructionForum] linking to equations

Warning: This email did not originate from the MCC Employee Email system. Please do not open attachments, click on links, or provide your credentials if the source is suspicious.

Should I be using \label{xyz} to tag the eq, and \ref{xyz} to call it?

and does that then work if someone else reuses it?

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 3:40 PM Robert Belford via groups.io <rebelford=ualr.edu@groups.io> wrote:

--
Dr. Robert E. Belford
Professor
501 916-6540

--
Dr. Robert E. Belford
Professor
501 916-6540