ISBN? #referencing

moja@...

Do the OER on Campus Bookshelves get ISBN numbers?  My bookstore is looking for an ISBN to adopt my OER textbook.
--
Michelle Oja, Ph.D.
Taft College

Delmar Larsen

That is a good question. The answer is not currently, but it isn't a problem to set it up (just some grunt work). The issue is that, technically, once a ISBN is established (and we need to make one for each form factor too to be in sync with standards), the textbook cannot be edited - or only topically. Hence, ISBN conflict with the dynamic nature of our texts, which often are constantly adjusting to student needs.

If you are willing to accept that (or working within Editions for your book), ISBN will work fine.

Delmar

On 9/21/2021 1:12 PM, moja via groups.io wrote:
Do the OER on Campus Bookshelves get ISBN numbers?  My bookstore is looking for an ISBN to adopt my OER textbook.
--
Michelle Oja, Ph.D.
Taft College
Behavioral Statistics (Statistics for the Social Sciences)

Please if you would let us know if you are using LibreTexts in your class: https://adopt.libretexts.org
Weekly Libretexts Office Hours Zoom meetings (open to all) on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:00 am (PDT): https://officehours.libretexts.org/

Request Instructor Account: https://register.libretexts.org/
Request Harvesting of OER Resource: https://harvest.libretexts.org/
Full Construction Guide: https://construct.libretexts.org/
Construction Forum: https://libretexts-constructionforum.groups.io/g/main
RealTime Chat: https://chat.libretexts.org

moja@...

For my college locally, we must use the same textbook for 3 years (to make our textbook rental program work, even if it's online), so it's not a big deal to make the work static for a while, then reveal a new "edition" at a later date.

However, I'll see how far I can get without an ISBN before I ask for that option.  More flexibility is better!
--
Michelle Oja, Ph.D.
Taft College
Behavioral Statistics (Statistics for the Social Sciences)

Josh Halpern

Let us know how this comes out. We are also talking with others about ISBNs, the dual problems being that they cost money and they require locking down the text.

Josh

jhalpern@...

Please if you would let us know if you are using LibreTexts in your class: https://adopt.libretexts.org
Tuesdays (https://zoom.us/j/380504419) at 9:00am (PDT)