Figure numbering...

Patrick McClanahan

I have 2 figures on the same page that have the same figure number.

I have never noticed this before - I thought the numbers would increase as more figures were added. Am I missing something, or do I need to add something to increase the number?

Pat

Patrick McClanahan
Professor of Computer Science
Science and Math 252
San Joaquin Delta College
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

Josh Halpern

What  \(\PageIndex{1}\) does is attach the numbering of each page  (in this case it would be 8.1.1.1: Injection Vulnerabilities) to the number in the PageIndex(1). So if this were a figure it would appear as Figure  \(\PageIndex{1}\)  in the editor and Figure  8.1.1.1.1 in the page text. You have to change the number as you go along   \(\PageIndex{2}\),  \(\PageIndex{3}\). The big benefit is that when you or someone remixes the page, you don't have to change 8.1.1.1.3 to 29.3. You can use  \(\PageIndex{i}\) for videos, examples, etc

Tuesdays and Thursday  at 9:00am (PDT): https://officehours.libretexts.org

Please if you would let us know if you are using LibreTexts in your class: https://adopt.libretexts.org

Weekly Libretexts Office Hours Zoom meetings (open to all) on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:00 am (PDT): https://officehours.libretexts.org/

Request Instructor Account: https://register.libretexts.org/
Request Harvesting of OER Resource: https://harvest.libretexts.org/
Full Construction Guide: https://construct.libretexts.org/
Construction Forum: https://libretexts-constructionforum.groups.io/g/main
RealTime Chat: https://chat.libretexts.org

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 2:12 PM Patrick McClanahan <patrick.mcclanahan@...> wrote:
I have 2 figures on the same page that have the same figure number.

I have never noticed this before - I thought the numbers would increase as more figures were added. Am I missing something, or do I need to add something to increase the number?

Pat

Patrick McClanahan
Professor of Computer Science
Science and Math 252
San Joaquin Delta College
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

Patrick McClanahan

Great - thank you for the explanation...clears it up.
pat

Patrick McClanahan
Professor of Computer Science
Science and Math 252
San Joaquin Delta College
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Delta College. Do not click links, open attachments, or reply to emails unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

[...]

Oh - brings up another question...is there a way in the text to reference the images in a similar manner, so that on remix we don't have to change all the references to specific images?

Thanks
[...]

The \(\PageIndex{1}\) is not much help when you are referencing an image/video/etc. on another page. For that my personal preference is to set an anchor. Anchors are automatic for Sections/headings. Opinions differ on this

Regards