Ancillary Materials

Patrick McClanahan

Good Morning - I am completing work on an OERI project, and need to include the Ancillary materials from Canvas: lab exercises - just word docs; Powerpoint slides for each chapter; and test banks - not sure what format these should be simple text files??

What is the best practices for including this material in LibreTexts? Attach a zip file for each of the 3? Attach individual files for each of the 3?? Looking for advice

Thanks
Pat

Patrick McClanahan
Professor of Computer Science
Science and Math 252
San Joaquin Delta College
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

WonderProfessor

Dear Patrick,

We finished a textbook this past June. Took 6 months to write and then another 6 months to "fine-tune." All the ancillary materials were already freely available on our class website. For what it is worth, time constraints being what they are, we just linked to them from the textbook. Ah, now I will go hide in case someone believes that this is blasphemy.

Onward and upward!

Sincerely,

Frank Paiano
Southwestern Community College

!! External Email !! This email is from outside Southwestern College. Do not click any links or open attachments if you do not trust the sender!

Good Morning - I am completing work on an OERI project, and need to include the Ancillary materials from Canvas: lab exercises - just word docs; Powerpoint slides for each chapter; and test banks - not sure what format these should be simple text files??

What is the best practices for including this material in LibreTexts? Attach a zip file for each of the 3? Attach individual files for each of the 3?? Looking for advice

Thanks
Pat

Patrick McClanahan
Professor of Computer Science
Science and Math 252
San Joaquin Delta College
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

Patrick McClanahan

Thanks for the input...my class does not have a website...so that is a no go.
[...]

Delmar Larsen

Frank:

We may want to upload your ancillary materials to the Commons for you course. Then when student/instructors read your book they will know that ancillary materials are connected.

I can look at this over the weekend if you are cool with it.

Delmar

On 9/30/2022 10:05 AM, WonderProfessor wrote:

[...]

Send them to be and I can add them to the Conductor project. If you sign up for the Conductor account (@ https://commons.libretexts.org), I can add you to the project that lets you do this directly (and access to peer review and accessibility compliance review and other good things.

Delmar

On 9/30/2022 9:56 AM, Patrick McClanahan wrote:

Good Morning - I am completing work on an OERI project, and need to include the Ancillary materials from Canvas: lab exercises - just word docs; Powerpoint slides for each chapter; and test banks - not sure what format these should be simple text files??

What is the best practices for including this material in LibreTexts? Attach a zip file for each of the 3? Attach individual files for each of the 3?? Looking for advice

Thanks
Pat

Patrick McClanahan
Professor of Computer Science
Science and Math 252
San Joaquin Delta College
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

Patrick McClanahan

I DO have a Conductor account....I am trying to get all the Quizzes exported from Canvas so I have text files...I have the Powerpoint and the Lab exercise file
[...]

ok. I added you to all your conductor projects. You can now add ancillary materials via the buttons titled "Manage Ancillary Materials". You can only do this on compiled projects (e.g., those with Commons entries) right now.

Check it out and let me know if you have a problem. Or send me the materials and I can add them for you.

We can/should export the quizzes to ADAPT since they will be QTI. Just a zipped output of those will work.

Delmar

On 9/30/2022 11:46 AM, Patrick McClanahan wrote:

[...]

Dear Delmar,

Yes, of course! All the materials are freely available at https://wonderprofessor.com/123 for the Introduction to Investments (our BUS-123) class. The OER textbook is at: https://biz.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Finance/Introduction_to_Investments_(Paiano)

By the end of November, all the revised materials for Principles of Money Management will be available at https://wonderprofessor.com/121 (our BUS-121). The curated Principles of Money Management OER textbook is at: https://biz.libretexts.org/Courses/Southwestern_Community_College

Whatever ya's wants, ya's gets!

Eternal thanks for all your support and AWESOME technology!

[...]

moja@...

I use Canvas Commons for ancillary materials (quizzes) for my prior OER, but in general, what should authors do?  Would all authors who want to include ancillary materials like slides become a Conductor?
--
Michelle Oja, Ph.D.
Taft College

Delmar Larsen

We were dealing with ancillary materials in an ad hoc way. The new Commons&Conductor technology (new from last year) allows us to keep better track of ancillary materials and let potential adopters know about about. For example, your book's Conductor page has a section for adding ancillary materials right now (see below); you just need to sign up for the free account so we can add you to the page.

Questions is a different situation. The Ancillary materials here are freely available to anyone with an account; since questions/answers need better security (although we will update the Commons&Conductor soon to handle this), I suggest adding the questions to ADAPT. If you do a zip export of the questions (assuming they are in Canvas) and sending them to us, we can manually add it to the homework system (which is free to you since you are in California).

Delmar