A way to search inside a specific LibreTexts book

Anna Mills

I just discovered that in addition to specifying that a Google search look only at LibreTexts.org results, we can specify which book to focus on by adding "inurl:" and part of the book's URL string.

For example, I can find pages in my book with keyword "claim" using this string:
claim site:libretexts.org inurl:Book%3A How Arguments Work

Cheers!
Anna Mills

Robert Belford

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 6:01 PM Anna Mills <amills@...> wrote:
I just discovered that in addition to specifying that a Google search look only at LibreTexts.org results, we can specify which book to focus on by adding "inurl:" and part of the book's URL string.

For example, I can find pages in my book with keyword "claim" using this string:
claim site:libretexts.org inurl:Book%3A How Arguments Work

Cheers!
Anna Mills

There are two ways of doing this. One is to use the advanced search page

Another (which is the one Anna pointed to is to use search operators in the search line in google.com

you can create complex search strings using the operators that are given in her link.

For restricting the search to libretexts I have had better luck with duck duck go than google

Josh

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 9:22 PM Robert Belford <rebelford@...> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 6:01 PM Anna Mills <amills@...> wrote:
I just discovered that in addition to specifying that a Google search look only at LibreTexts.org results, we can specify which book to focus on by adding "inurl:" and part of the book's URL string.

For example, I can find pages in my book with keyword "claim" using this string:
claim site:libretexts.org inurl:Book%3A How Arguments Work

Cheers!
Anna Mills

Best
Josh Halpern
jhalpern@...
Twitter: @JoshHalpern5

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/LibreTexts

Tuesdays (
https://zoom.us/j/380504419) at 9:00am (PDT)

Thursdays (https://zoom.us/j/662384088) at 9:00am (PDT)

Full Construction Guide: https://tinyurl.com/LibreConstructionGuid

Construction Forum https://libretexts-constructionforum.groups.io/g/main

Discipline Specific Forums https://tinyurl.com/LibreAreaForums

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/LibreTexts

Anna Mills

Thanks, Josh.  I am not familiar with Duck Duck Go but will check it out.
The page I read was https://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_google_site_search_look_constrain_subdirectory/

I was able to get a list of pages from my book that reference fallacies by putting this search string into Google to look for results with my name as author in the URL:

fallacies site:libretexts.org inurl:Mills

Anna

Anna Mills

I just searched the Construction Guide using this technique and found very little using Google but much more with Duck Duck Go.  I was looking for information on headers with this search string:

h1 site:libretexts.org inurl:Remixer_University inurl:Construction

Glad to know about Duck Duck Go!
Anna