license option #librefest

Josh Halpern

Copyleft is not a license in the sense of Creative Commons at least according to this

and this

That being said, it looks as if you can use the GPL as the equivalent and simply put the symbol at the bottom of the pages if you want.

Josh Halpern

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 11:34 AM Suzanne Wakim <wakimsu@...> wrote:

We are using content from this site: https://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/a/a_11/a_11_cl/a_11_cl_hor/a_11_cl_hor.html

The "copyleft" link at the bottom of the page goes to his license choice.  It's basically non-commercial and a requirement to attach a copyleft logo to the page.  Can we create a custom license in the drop-down that has those elements?

Side note: we contacted the author and the text is his.  The images are problematic, but we are not using those without confirming the original source.

jhalpern@...

Please if you would let us know if you are using LibreTexts in your class: https://adopt.libretexts.org
Weekly Libretexts Office Hours Zoom meetings (open to all) on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:00 am (PDT):
https://officehours.libretexts.org/

Request Instructor Account: https://register.libretexts.org/
Request Harvesting of OER Resource: https://harvest.libretexts.org/
Full Construction Guide: https://construct.libretexts.org/
Construction Forum: https://libretexts-constructionforum.groups.io/g/main
RealTime Chat: https://chat.libretexts.org

Suzanne Wakim

Our last email with him basically said "yes it's mine but my grant ran out so I can't be bothered to deal with it any more."  He's not going to do any more work on it (as far as I can tell).

Delmar Larsen

Yeah that is possible. There is no such license though. If you are in communication with them, you may want to ask if they are interested in adopting a more formalized "copyleft" license like CC NC 4.0 instead (I think that exists, although almost everyone wants a BY clause).

Delmar