Attaching Files

Tianxin (Viatrix) Zhang

Hi,

The current project I am working on is an open course website. There are a variety of accompanied powerpoints that would be not easy to transfer into texts. I am wondering if it is appropriate to attach them below the texts and write a line of reminder indicating that those files are helpful materials?

Delmar Larsen

aWe are just starting to host ancillary materials with texts. I moved your text out of under construction and created an Ancillary Materials section with a PowerPoint Presentations section:

https://bio.libretexts.org/Learning_Objects/Laboratory_Experiments/Book%3A_Fundamentals_in_Biological_Engineering_Laboratory/Ancillary_Materials/Powerpoint_Presentations

Drag and drop the files into the table under "attachements" at the bottom of the page. The code I added to the page will create a table up of all successfully uploaded files (see pic).

Delmar

Patrick McClanahan

Is there a way to enable the ancillary material with a course?? I know that my OERI project has ancillary materials, but they are only available under Canvas Commons
Pat

Patrick McClanahan
Professor of Computer Science
Science and Math 252
San Joaquin Delta College
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Delta College. Do not click links, open attachments, or reply to emails unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

aWe are just starting to host ancillary materials with texts. I moved your text out of under construction and created an Ancillary Materials section with a PowerPoint Presentations section:

https://bio.libretexts.org/Learning_Objects/Laboratory_Experiments/Book%3A_Fundamentals_in_Biological_Engineering_Laboratory/Ancillary_Materials/Powerpoint_Presentations

Drag and drop the files into the table under "attachements" at the bottom of the page. The code I added to the page will create a table up of all successfully uploaded files (see pic).

Since you have multiple books, which one(s) do you want new section(s) added for ancillary materials? And what type do you have?

Delmar

On 2/12/2021 11:46 AM, Patrick McClanahan wrote:
[...]

If you are an instructor or student using LibreTexts in your class it would help us greatly if you would fill out this form: http://tinyurl.com/AdoptionLibre

Request Instructor's account via https://tinyurl.com/Register4Libre
Request harvesting of OER resource into LibreTexts via https://tinyurl.com/HarvestRequest

Full Construction Guide: https://tinyurl.com/LibreConstructionGuide
Construction Forum https://libretexts-constructionforum.groups.io/g/main
Discipline Specific Forums https://tinyurl.com/LibreAreaForums
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/LibreTexts

Patrick McClanahan

I have the following file types
1) ppt
2) docx
3) txt

Thank you
[...]

Types are fine. I was wondering about subject matter (exam banks) and who do you want to have access to each of these?

Patrick McClanahan

Oh...sorry:

Powerpoint  - this can be open to anyone
Test banks - as text files - I use Respondus to import to Canvas - could probably put the Canvas Quiz export...is there a way to restrict access - or some method that I can allow someone who reaches out to me to access. Obviously don't want students to figure out they can grab the answers here.
Lab exercises...these can be open to all

I hope that is better....😎
Pat

Patrick McClanahan
Professor of Computer Science
Science and Math 252
San Joaquin Delta College
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Delta College. Do not click links, open attachments, or reply to emails unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Types are fine. I was wondering about subject matter (exam banks) and
who do you want to have access to each of these?

Anna Mills

Hi Patrick and Delmar,

I am working with the same situation as I just had a grant to build out ancillaries in Canvas and I want everything to be up on LibreTexts too.  I have found it easy to attach files like PDFs to specific pages.  Then I link to those files in the text of the page.  See this sample.  I'd love to hear other ways to do it as well...

For practice exercises, I put a short version at the end of a page and include it in the table of contents for the page. See this sample.

I am eager to see what Delmar recommends as far as securely getting quizzes to teachers.  I think I should at least put a note in my Teacher's Guide section about the quizzes I currently have in Canvas Commons for those using that LMS.  I have seen cases where instructors ask others to email them to get the quiz files, but of course this is cumbersome.

Delmar Larsen

I was thinking like this book: https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Environmental_Chemistry/Book%3A_Green_Chemistry_and_the_Ten_Commandments_of_Sustainability_(Manahan)

Where "Chapter 18" is "Ancillary Materials" that has sections dedicated toward the content with a dynamic summary, so that all you need to do is drag and drop and it is updated. Although one can do a more polished overview like Anne's system. This can be open (to all) or closed (to faculty). The uploaded files can have descriptions added to it (and meta-tags) so that a proper search can pull them up (as "Learning Objects"), although they are semantically connected to the textbook too.

Delmar Larsen

ok, I created a new Chapter call "Ancillary Materials" in your book:

https://eng.libretexts.org/Courses/Delta_College/Linux_-_The_Penguin_Marches_On/Ancillary_Materials

I created three sections:
  • Lab Exercises
  • Powerpoint Presentations
  • Test Banks
I added code that will show any attachments on the page (I need to change the code to show alphabetically instead of chronologically, but it gets the job done for now). Just drag and drop them on the page. No need to edit the page bit if you drag and drop while editing, drop in the "attachments" section at the bottom.

The Test Bank is private right now. We have a dedicate group/role for instructors as faculty that we intended to use to give access to these materials. This makes the assumption you trust us to maintain the integrity of the test bank. If you prefer to control it yourself (and you will get tired of this quickly), we can figure out an alternative solution.