Missing figures

Kathryn Haas

Can someone explain why figures disappeared in this page? The ones that are missing seem to be linked to wikimedia commons. I've seen something similar happen with other figures that I have uploaded (my own figures).

See figure 2.1.2.5 (click here)

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

Wikipedia is locking down on hotlinking; I have noticed this a few time the past couple weeks. We should host all our images to avoid any issues like this.

I ran a bot over your text that automatically integrated all hotlinked images (or most). Only 5 or 6 pages were identified with them.

As for your images: Which image doesn't show up that you manually uploaded?

Kathryn Haas

Edited

Here is an example: Figure 4.3.3.1

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Inorganic_Chemistry/Map%3A_Inorganic_Chemistry_(Miessler_Fischer_Tarr)/4%3A_Symmetry_and_Group_Theory/4.3%3A_Properties_and_Representations_of_Groups/4.3.3%3A_Character_Tables

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

Not sure. It was in the attachments, so I just double clicked on it and found it again.

Stephen Contakes

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 9:51 AM Delmar Larsen via groups.io <dlarsen=libretexts.org@groups.io> wrote:
Not sure. It was in the attachments, so I just double clicked on it and found it again.

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

I reverted the bot's efforts, but I will do a few manual edits.

Stephen Contakes

Delmar,

Thank you.

Steve

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 5:00 PM Delmar Larsen via groups.io <dlarsen=libretexts.org@groups.io> wrote:
I reverted the bot's efforts, but I will do a few manual edits.

Kathryn Haas

Hi Delmar,
Here's another page where not only the figures are missing, but also at least one link is disrupted.
4.3.1: Polar Bonds

How can I fix this?

Josh Halpern

Hi Kathryn,

It looked fine on the bookshelf so I copied the URLs for the images over into your course shell. Looks OK now

Josh

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 11:22 PM Kathryn Haas <khaas@...> wrote:
Hi Delmar,
Here's another page where not only the figures are missing, but also at least one link is disrupted.
4.3.1: Polar Bonds

How can I fix this?

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

I am unsure of what is going on. I don't see any edits to the page by anyone or a bot. I can check with Mindtouch to see if there is a sync problem with the mstatic database holding the images and the database holding the text. It is a long shot.

When the images are rendered, they are beautiful.

Kathryn Haas

Josh and Delmar,

Thank you! It is fixed now! You don't think this is related to the same problem we're having with hypothesis? (ie the URL change in the Saint Mary's pages?)

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

I don't think this is related to either the Wikipedia hotlinking block or the hypothesis block. I need to delve deeper into the revisions to come up with an answer... perhaps in a week or two. Let me know if this happens again.

Kathryn Haas

Here's another page with missing figures.
https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Inorganic_Chemistry/Modules_and_Websites_(Inorganic_Chemistry)/Advanced_Inorganic_Chemistry_(Wikibook)/16%3A_Fundamentals_of_Electron_Absorption_Spectroscopy

Delmar Larsen

Yeah. If the image was hotlinked to wikipedia, it won't be shown anymore. Wikipedia is disallowing it. We have to ensure the images are on our server so that we have 100% fidelity's/stability.

I will pull it up and add it properly
Delmar