PDF irregularity

pbmac

I downloaded a Full PDF from my projects and noticed that tables were messed up...this is a 3 column table - and the first column is printed vertically, later in the document the third colum of a 3 column table suffers this same malady. I have not check every table. Some tables where the data in libretexts is left justified becomes centered in the PDF...makes it much more difficult to read.

Any thoughts or fixes anyone knows??
Pat

smmuller@...

For the vertically printed column problem, I checked out the source code, and it looks like your second and third column widths are set to 40% and 25%, but your first column doesn't have a value. I guess for some reason the pdf thinks the first column width should be 0%, and all your text is getting squished.

    <tbody>

The easiest way to fix this would be to go in editing mode, and drag the column border over a little. Resizing it should automatically give it a width in the source code.

I have no idea what's going on with the text becoming centered though. You could try going into the text align menu and using the Justify option instead - it doesn't look like the pdf messes with that - but I'm not sure how to get the Align Left option to work.

Patrick McClanahan

Yes - I was able to fix the table width in the fashion you mentioned.

However, I am unable to get the text left justified. Any other ideas??
Pat

Patrick McClanahan
Professor of Computer Science
Science and Math 252
San Joaquin Delta College
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Delta College. Do not click links, open attachments, or reply to emails unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

For the vertically printed column problem, I checked out the source code, and it looks like your second and third column widths are set to 40% and 25%, but your first column doesn't have a value. I guess for some reason the pdf thinks the first column width should be 0%, and all your text is getting squished.

    <tbody>

The easiest way to fix this would be to go in editing mode, and drag the column border over a little. Resizing it should automatically give it a width in the source code.

I have no idea what's going on with the text becoming centered though. You could try going into the text align menu and using the Justify option instead - it doesn't look like the pdf messes with that - but I'm not sure how to get the Align Left option to work.

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

Sorry, I should have confirmed this a few days ago, but didn't get the time. Sophia is 100% correct. The printing system we have doesn't like fixed widths in the tables, hence why we typically use them in responsive mode. I will add fixing this automatically via the Brad bot so this will be addressed automatically on our side.

The justification is forced by the CSS of the site. I can build a quick CSS block for you to address this or I can turn it off. I will turn it off so it reflects the online experience.

Give me a day please.

Delmar

Patrick McClanahan

AWESOME!! Thank you Delmar...I appreciate the assist
[...]

I removed both the default vertical and horizontal alignments for table entries in the pdf. They are up to the author to decide how to best present the data in the table.

Patrick McClanahan

How then do we control the placement of data?? There is a Vertical Alignment selection when you right click the table. I am not seeing any difference in my tables....do I need to alter something?