PDF irregularity

pbmac

I downloaded a Full PDF from my projects and noticed that tables were messed up...this is a 3 column table - and the first column is printed vertically, later in the document the third colum of a 3 column table suffers this same malady. I have not check every table. Some tables where the data in libretexts is left justified becomes centered in the PDF...makes it much more difficult to read.

Any thoughts or fixes anyone knows??
Pat

smmuller@...

For the vertically printed column problem, I checked out the source code, and it looks like your second and third column widths are set to 40% and 25%, but your first column doesn't have a value. I guess for some reason the pdf thinks the first column width should be 0%, and all your text is getting squished.

<table class="mt-responsive-table">
    <tbody>
        <tr>
            <td class="mt-noheading"><strong>The Linux Documentation Project.</strong></td>
            <td class="mt-noheading mt-column-width-40"><b>TLDP</b> is a loosely knit team of volunteers who provide documentation for many aspects of Linux. There are several forms of documentation: Guides, HOWTOs, man pages, and FAQs.
            <p>guide is typically a longer book with broader coverage of a subject; for instance, the Network Administration or User Guide. The intent is to understand the whole subject, as opposed to performing only one task. If you want to have a broader look at some aspect of Linux, then the guides should be very handy.</p>
            <p>A HOWTO is usually a step-by-step guide that describe, in detail, how to perform a specific task. For example, you can use the Linux Installation HOWTO to help you install Linux on a system, but it does not cover how to set up a Web server so that you can focus on a particular task.</p>
            </td>
            <td class="mt-noheading mt-column-width-25">
            <p><a title="https://www.tldp.org/" href="https://www.tldp.org/" rel="external nofollow" target="_blank" class="link-https">The TLPD web site</a></p>
            </td>
        </tr>

The easiest way to fix this would be to go in editing mode, and drag the column border over a little. Resizing it should automatically give it a width in the source code.

I have no idea what's going on with the text becoming centered though. You could try going into the text align menu and using the Justify option instead - it doesn't look like the pdf messes with that - but I'm not sure how to get the Align Left option to work.

Patrick McClanahan

Yes - I was able to fix the table width in the fashion you mentioned.

However, I am unable to get the text left justified. Any other ideas??
Pat

Patrick McClanahan
Professor of Computer Science
Science and Math 252
San Joaquin Delta College
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

From: main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io <main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io> on behalf of smmuller via groups.io <smmuller@...>
Sent: Friday, August 7, 2020 4:26 PM
To: main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io <main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Libretexts-ConstructionForum] PDF irregularity

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Delta College. Do not click links, open attachments, or reply to emails unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

For the vertically printed column problem, I checked out the source code, and it looks like your second and third column widths are set to 40% and 25%, but your first column doesn't have a value. I guess for some reason the pdf thinks the first column width should be 0%, and all your text is getting squished.

<table class="mt-responsive-table">
    <tbody>
        <tr>
            <td class="mt-noheading"><strong>The Linux Documentation Project.</strong></td>
            <td class="mt-noheading mt-column-width-40"><b>TLDP</b> is a loosely knit team of volunteers who provide documentation for many aspects of Linux. There are several forms of documentation: Guides, HOWTOs, man pages, and FAQs.
            <p>guide is typically a longer book with broader coverage of a subject; for instance, the Network Administration or User Guide. The intent is to understand the whole subject, as opposed to performing only one task. If you want to have a broader look at some aspect of Linux, then the guides should be very handy.</p>
            <p>A HOWTO is usually a step-by-step guide that describe, in detail, how to perform a specific task. For example, you can use the Linux Installation HOWTO to help you install Linux on a system, but it does not cover how to set up a Web server so that you can focus on a particular task.</p>
            </td>
            <td class="mt-noheading mt-column-width-25">
            <p><a title="https://www.tldp.org/" href="https://www.tldp.org/" rel="external nofollow" target="_blank" class="link-https">The TLPD web site</a></p>
            </td>
        </tr>

The easiest way to fix this would be to go in editing mode, and drag the column border over a little. Resizing it should automatically give it a width in the source code.

I have no idea what's going on with the text becoming centered though. You could try going into the text align menu and using the Justify option instead - it doesn't look like the pdf messes with that - but I'm not sure how to get the Align Left option to work.

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

Sorry, I should have confirmed this a few days ago, but didn't get the time. Sophia is 100% correct. The printing system we have doesn't like fixed widths in the tables, hence why we typically use them in responsive mode. I will add fixing this automatically via the Brad bot so this will be addressed automatically on our side.

The justification is forced by the CSS of the site. I can build a quick CSS block for you to address this or I can turn it off. I will turn it off so it reflects the online experience. 

Give me a day please.

Delmar

Patrick McClanahan

AWESOME!! Thank you Delmar...I appreciate the assist
Pat

Patrick McClanahan
Science and Math 252
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

From: main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io <main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io> on behalf of Delmar Larsen via groups.io <dlarsen@...>
Sent: Friday, August 7, 2020 6:46 PM
To: main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io <main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io>

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Delta College. Do not click links, open attachments, or reply to emails unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Sorry, I should have confirmed this a few days ago, but didn't get the time. Sophia is 100% correct. The printing system we have doesn't like fixed widths in the tables, hence why we typically use them in responsive mode. I will add fixing this automatically via the Brad bot so this will be addressed automatically on our side.

The justification is forced by the CSS of the site. I can build a quick CSS block for you to address this or I can turn it off. I will turn it off so it reflects the online experience. 

Give me a day please.

Delmar

I removed both the default vertical and horizontal alignments for table entries in the pdf. They are up to the author to decide how to best present the data in the table.

Patrick McClanahan

How then do we control the placement of data?? There is a Vertical Alignment selection when you right click the table. I am not seeing any difference in my tables....do I need to alter something?
Pat

Patrick McClanahan
Science and Math 252
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

From: main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io <main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io> on behalf of Delmar Larsen via groups.io <dlarsen@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2020 2:27 PM

I removed both the default vertical and horizontal alignments for table entries in the pdf. They are up to the author to decide how to best present the data in the table.

You can control the horizontal alignment via the normal standard editor (like in normal text). if you are saying it doesn't show up in your PDF, then share with me the URL and I will confirm on my side.

Patrick McClanahan

I select the table, I right click in the table, select Align-> Top, then also select Alignment from the menu bar, and select Align Left.

Do I have to compile it before I see it in PDF? Because I am not seeing any difference
Pat

Patrick McClanahan
Science and Math 252
Stockton, CA
(209) 954-5323

Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2020 4:20 PM

You can control the horizontal alignment via the normal standard editor (like in normal text). if you are saying it doesn't show up in your PDF, then share with me the URL and I will confirm on my side.

Edited

Good point. To get the noncached PDF add ?nocache to the end of the URL (the PDF URL, not the library URL).

I will take a look tomorrow morning.

I am still having trouble finding why the default is center justified, although I have turned off forcing it. The CSS is a bit hairy in this matter.

The problem is that he CKEditor registers left justification as default and doesn't force it into the HTML code. The CSS for print then doesn't know the author wants it to be left justified (it will work on all the others). If I cannot figure this out quickly, I will make a table style that you can select in the table settings that will have it there.

Since you are a computer guy, you can probably accept a harder answer.  What works is to select right justified in your tables, then got into the html code and do a find/replace on all "mt-align-right" into "mt-align-left" and that fixes it. Sorry for a clunky answer, but this works for now.

I set up a bot to edit the tables to fix this. Let me know if you still have problems. I ran it on your book.