How should we license figures created for LibreTexts construction? #Figures #Licensing

Kathryn Haas

I noticed that an attribution place holder has been added to Figure templates. So far, I've just left all new content without specific license because I wasn't sure.

I hate to open up a can of worms, but is there a preferred license to use for figures created specifically for construction efforts? Or is it simply up to individual authors?

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

Yeah. There is a requirement from the Dept. of Ed. grant for it to be CC BY. if the image is created for this grant, then that is the preferred license. If content is remixed from other sources, then this doesn't apply.

Kathryn Haas

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 08:13 PM, Delmar Larsen wrote:
CC BY
Wow... so do I understand this correctly? The Dept of Ed wants it to be ok for others to use LibreTexts content for COMMERCIAL purposes? This is the CC-BY license description I found at this website (click). It seems to me that -SA-NC appendages would be appropriate, no?

CC BY: This license lets others distribute, remix, adapt, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered. Recommended for maximum dissemination and use of licensed materials.

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

Yes. That is the wording they introduced into the RFP. This was also a point of fighting in the new rounds too. The people that want everything to be free won a many of the "fathers of OER" are also trying to monetize OER. I am not a fan, but if we want to follow the rules, we need to use a CC BY for new content.

Josh Halpern

The specific language in the RFP is

Open textbook means a textbook that
is licensed under a worldwide, nonexclusive,
royalty-free, perpetual, and
irrevocable license to the public to
exercise any of the rights under
copyright conditioned only on the
requirement that attribution be given as
directed by the copyright owner. An
open textbook resides in the public
domain or has been released under a
license that permits their free use, reuse,
modification, and sharing with others.

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 11:37 AM Delmar Larsen via groups.io <dlarsen=libretexts.org@groups.io> wrote:
Yes. That is the wording they introduced into the RFP. This was also a point of fighting in the new rounds too. The people that want everything to be free won a many of the "fathers of OER" are also trying to monetize OER. I am not a fan, but if we want to follow the rules, we need to use a CC BY for new content.

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

Yeah, they didn't want to write down Creative Commons CC BY (according to Cable Green), but this was the intent. The way I think they interpret this is "exercise _any_of_the_rights_ under
copyright conditioned only on the requirement that attribution be given as directed by the copyright owner. " Means the only restriction is the attribution. I disagree with that definition as a whole, but it is how they defined in their RFP.