Forcing equations to number

Josh Halpern

Hi,

I have a text with a number of lines that contain formulas at the end and I want them to number
For example

This is a line with some mathjax \(  X \)

and I want this equation at the end to autonumber

Looking for help

There are two modes for equations on the LibreTexts (and mathjax / latex in general): inline and display.

Inline equations are designated with \( and \) delimiters and are a meant for being embedded in text. As such, they do not have equations numbers associated with them.
Display equation are designated with \[ and \] delimiters and are means to take up a full line by themselves (i.e., no text before or after). BY default, the LibreTexts adds an equation number based off of the the number in the title of the page (if no number, then just starting from one). This can be removed by adding the \nonumber or \notag code in the equation.

Josh Halpern

I want to go the otherway, adding numbers to some lines with text.

Josh

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 9:48 PM Delmar Larsen via groups.io <dlarsen=libretexts.org@groups.io> wrote:
There are two modes for equations on the LibreTexts (and mathjax / latex in general): inline and display.

Inline equations are designated with \( and \) delimiters and are a meant for being embedded in text. As such, they do not have equations numbers associated with them.
Display equation are designated with \[ and \] delimiters and are means to take up a full line by themselves (i.e., no text before or after). BY default, the LibreTexts adds an equation number based off of the the number in the title of the page (if no number, then just starting from one). This can be removed by adding the \nonumber or \notag code in the equation.

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

To use mathjax, you need to put the entire sentence into mathjax to get an automatic equation number.