Front and Back Matter?

Mark Baillie

This fall I saw a number of my LibreText sites have a "Front Matter" and "Back Matter" page added. What are these, do we need them, and if not how do we get rid of them without having them automatically added again?

Here are two examples:
https://socialsci.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Education_and_Professional_Development/Mobile_Summer_Institute_on_Scientific_Teaching/Generic
https://socialsci.libretexts.org/Courses/Mobile_Summer_Institute_on_Scientific_Teaching/UA_Little_Rock_MoSI

Thanks - mark

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

If you have uploaded your books to the Download center (via the meta-tag "Cover Page"), then they come up. We can erase them and flip the switch or "hide" them so no one can view them.

On 12/13/2019 12:27 PM, Mark Baillie wrote:
This fall I saw a number of my LibreText sites have a "Front Matter" and "Back Matter" page added. What are these, do we need them, and if not how do we get rid of them without having them automatically added again?

Here are two examples:
https://socialsci.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Education_and_Professional_Development/Mobile_Summer_Institute_on_Scientific_Teaching/Generic
https://socialsci.libretexts.org/Courses/Mobile_Summer_Institute_on_Scientific_Teaching/UA_Little_Rock_MoSI

Thanks - mark

Mark Baillie

What is their purpose?

Mark Baillie, Ph.D.
Department of Chemistry, Assistant Professor
https://ualr.edu/chemistry/
STEM Education Center, STRIVE Program Director
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
501-301-4695

On Dec 13, 2019, at 2:29 PM, Delmar Larsen via Groups.Io <dlarsen@...> wrote:

If you have uploaded your books to the Download center (via the meta-tag "Cover Page"), then they come up. We can erase them and flip the switch or "hide" them so no one can view them.

On 12/13/2019 12:27 PM, Mark Baillie wrote:
This fall I saw a number of my LibreText sites have a "Front Matter" and "Back Matter" page added. What are these, do we need them, and if not how do we get rid of them without having them automatically added again?

Here are two examples:
https://socialsci.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Education_and_Professional_Development/Mobile_Summer_Institute_on_Scientific_Teaching/Generic
https://socialsci.libretexts.org/Courses/Mobile_Summer_Institute_on_Scientific_Teaching/UA_Little_Rock_MoSI

Thanks - mark

Mostly for printing issues:

Front matter:

  • TitlePage (mandatory)
  • InfoPage (mandatory)
  • Table of Contents (mandatory)
  • About this Book (optional)
  • Preface (optional)
  • About the Author(s) (optional)
  • etc

Back Matter

  • Index (will be mandatory and based off of the mata-tags of the pages in the text)
  • Glossary (optional)
  • Appendices (optional)

Mark Baillie

Thanks for the information. So for each “book”, will this information pull from the page settings or somewhere else, or will we need to add these pieces of information manually?

On 12/13/2019 12:42 PM, Mark Baillie wrote:
Thanks for the information. So for each “book”, will this information pull from the page settings or somewhere else, or will we need to add these pieces of information manually?

Once added to the bookshelves (by switching the "Cover page" tag), then the frotn and back matter "chapters" will be made automatically. The current batch will add to the Front Matter: Titlepage, InfoPage, and TOC. The other pages are added manually.