Problem with transclude and forker functions? #transclusion #bugs

Kathryn Haas

1) Forking: Over the last few days I find that the forker button no longer works to fork pages with content re-use. This is a problem for me on both Safari and Chrome browsers.

2) During the workshop at SMC yesterday, we noticed that the "copy-transclude" function was also not working.

Both seems to be a systemic problem across all libraries, and browser independent. Are other people having similar issues?

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

On 11/15/2019 7:44 AM, Kathryn Haas wrote:
1) Forking: Over the last few days I find that the forker button no longer works to fork pages with content re-use. This is a problem for me on both Safari and Chrome browsers.
On which pages? Does the Forker option under the "Options" menu have the effect you expect? I am toying with the idea of switching the forker button next to the icon to a link to the source material instead and use the Forker option on the Options menu instead.

2) During the workshop at SMC yesterday, we noticed that the "copy-transclude" function was also not working.
We are aware of this and probably should disable this option until we get it looking and working like Copy option

Seeburger, Paul (Mathematics)

I agree that these two features need to be working well and consistently.

I'm ok with changing the location of the fork option, although I have to say that it seems to make more sense to keep it where it is next to the title than to be in the options list.  Maybe we could place two links there (next to the title), one linking to the source and the other to do the fork.

When I see "fork" on the options list, I assume that it means I want to fork the current page (not convert it to a fork of the source I don't see).  I think of it as a copy-full option.

At the very least, I would recommend that the fork option not be included in the Options list for a page that is not itself transcluded.  I think this is just leading to confusion.

Paul

Dorte Madsen

I think the "forking" option should simply appear when you try to edit a transcluded page. I hope that is possible. Ideally it would ask "Do you want to create a copy of the page (i.e. fork the page) or edit the original".

--
Dorte Madsen
LibreTexts Project Coordinator

Have a question about LibreTexts? Join us at the weekly Libretexts Office Hours
Zoom meetings (open to all):

Interested in LibreTexts, join our email list LibreNet Commons

at LibreNet-Commons@groups.io

The LibreNet Commons group provides a central spot for discussing current and future features of the LibreTexts project and the LibreNet consortium. The discussion group also facilitates organization of new construction teams (for faculty, students and instructional designers) for building custom designed texts within the LibreTexts libraries.

Seeburger, Paul (Mathematics)

That's an excellent idea, Dorte!

I really like it!!

And providing a way to jump to the source to edit there would be so helpful!

It just needs to be clear which is happening.

Paul