#remix #remix

Larry Green

I am trying to remix a textbook (introductory statistics) and then go to the individual pages and add content to a page.  Could someone please explain how to do this?  My goal is to take the static book and bring in multimedia and interactivity.  It is important that I work on a remixed copy rather than on the actual book.  I am pretty sure that this is possible in remixer 2.0's Forker, but I am not even sure if that is up yet as the default.
Thanks,
Larry

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

Larry:

If you remix with the Copy-Fork option, then all your pages will be forked and you can edit then directly (see image below). If you made them with copy-tranclude (the default), then you can use the forker on each page you want to edit to switch it from transclude to forking mode. This section of the Construction Guide can tell you how to proceed:

https://chem.libretexts.org/Courses/Remixer_University/Construction_Guide/3%3A_Advanced_Editing/3.1C%3A_Editing_a_Trancluded_(Reused)_Page

Delmar

_._,_._,_
--

Seeburger, Paul (Mathematics)

Hi, Larry!

As Delmar indicated, the Remixer seems to be working pretty well, and you can choose to copy-fork the whole book if you wish.  If you go to edit a page in your created book and it allows you to edit the text directly, this means that it is in your forked version and your edits there will not affect the source in the Bookshelves area.

Paul

Paul Seeburger

Professor of Mathematics

Monroe Community College

1000 E. Henrietta Rd.

Rochester, NY  14623

585-292-2946

https://sites.monroecc.edu/multivariablecalculus/ (NSF Project website)

https://c3d.libretexts.org/CalcPlot3D/index.html (NSF Project Visualization JavaScript App)

Warning: This email did not originate from the MCC Employee Email system. Please do not open attachments, click on links, or provide your credentials if the source is suspicious.

I am trying to remix a textbook (introductory statistics) and then go to the individual pages and add content to a page.  Could someone please explain how to do this?  My goal is to take the static book and bring in multimedia and interactivity.  It is important that I work on a remixed copy rather than on the actual book.  I am pretty sure that this is possible in remixer 2.0's Forker, but I am not even sure if that is up yet as the default.
Thanks,
Larry

Larry Green

Thanks, I got in and hit publish.  Is it normal to take more than 8368 seconds (over two hours) to publish a remix.  The time remaining still says "Calculating".  Should I give up and start over or should I be patient?
Thanks,
Larry

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

No something is wrong. Can you hit refresh and save your Remix Map. Then publish again. If this happens again, please send me your remixing map and we will troubleshoot on our side.

Why?

Seeburger, Paul (Mathematics)

That's a good idea, Josh.  But I'd recommend having a separate page where we could place links to peer-reviewed books that are substantial improvements (or alterations) of the original books.  It would be nice to have these available by topic/course, although perhaps it might merit a separate area within each library.

I also believe that as we continue to build the libraries, we really need a good way to organize and disseminate new contributions faculty make as they add their own material to supplement various textbooks.  I have begun to place links to my new material in Bookshelves/Calculus/Supplemental Modules area, separated there by topic.

Other faculty contributors can certainly do this too, but it would help to have a plan to encourage this sort of thing to make these contributions more readily accessible to others using the library.

Paul

Hi all,
I haven't played around much with the new remixer but I have a similar question. I'd like to sort labs together into some kind of folders, so that faculty can quickly remix a lab manual for different situations (different academic preparation, 10-week, 16-week, available lab material, online only, etc.). So you see a bunch of folders like a Remixing Map, with categories like: Intro to Science, Mendelian Genetics, Taxonomy, Osteology, Primates, Anthropometry, Forensic, etc. Then you expand a folder and it shows a complete list of all the individual labs that cover that topic; a list of appropriate Chapters. You explore the labs in the folder, and then drag your favorite into your custom lab manual, then try another folder, etc. Is there a way to set up new folders with groups of chapters, kind of like a Remixing Map or Bookshelf but cross-cut by the subject of the chapter (like a search), instead of grouped by author?
Cheers,
Arnie

On Nov 3, 2019, at 11:39 AM, Seeburger, Paul (Mathematics) <pseeburger@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert Belford

I am going to chime in here a bit.  We ran a workshop last week in Fayetteville and the chair of our biology department attended it.  Afterwards he sent me an email, and I do not feel at liberty to forward his email, but I will post a comment that I think is germane to what this conversation could be about.

"At the beginning of your presentation, I wondered whether the author of an open access textbook would be identified and receive professional credit for this effort.  By the end, I was convinced that it represents a significant, creative accomplishment, of great value to students at potentially many institutions, and should weigh heavily and positively in an instructor's evaluation."

My point is that to get upcoming new faculty involved, especially early career faculty, we need to be creative in coming up with ways that help them advance in their home institutions.

Cheers,
Bb

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 1:39 PM Seeburger, Paul (Mathematics) <pseeburger@...> wrote:

[...]

Arnie:

That is the way we intended to organize the ancillary materials sections. Any much of the organization in chemistry's ancillary materials is formulated in this way. We can organize in different ways.

Delmar