Remixed text footnotes/references keep old numbering system #referencing #remix

Dawn Sumner

I remixed a text using books from OpenStax and a couple of other books. I forked it for editing. I have superscripts that refer to references, and those reference links were retained but with the old numbering system. It's not a problem for now, but is something that eventually needs attention.

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

Can you give me an example URL for me to take a look at?

Delmar

On 9/23/2019 9:32 PM, Dawn Sumner wrote:
I remixed a text using books from OpenStax and a couple of other books. I forked it for editing. I have superscripts that refer to references, and those reference links were retained but with the old numbering system. It's not a problem for now, but is something that eventually needs attention.

Dawn Sumner

https://geo.libretexts.org/Courses/University_of_California_Davis/UCD%3A_Geobiology_(Sumner)/Text/1%3A_What_is_life%3F/1.1%3A_What_is_life%2C_exactly%3F

I've edited the page and deleted most of the footnotes because the links were bad. I left #28 (but edited the content)

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 11:18 PM Delmar Larsen via Groups.Io <dlarsen=libretexts.org@groups.io> wrote:

Can you give me an example URL for me to take a look at?

Delmar

On 9/23/2019 9:32 PM, Dawn Sumner wrote:
I remixed a text using books from OpenStax and a couple of other books. I forked it for editing. I have superscripts that refer to references, and those reference links were retained but with the old numbering system. It's not a problem for now, but is something that eventually needs attention.

Dawn Sumner, Professor
Earth and Planetary Sciences
University of California, Davis

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

ok. We need to solidify our internal referencing system, especially when coupled with the Remixer. We have played with different approaches. I won't have a quick answer for you, but we will get it completed soon.

Delmar

On 9/24/2019 11:14 AM, Dawn Sumner wrote:
[...]

Dorte Madsen

Thanks for pointing this out. When students transfer material numbering of references, figure numbers, and similar often end up being hard coded in as in this text. In your edited page you can simply change "28" to "1" so it doesn't look so strange.

--
Dorte Madsen
LibreTexts Project Coordinator

Have a question about LibreTexts? Join us at the weekly Libretexts Office Hours
Zoom meetings (open to all):

Interested in LibreTexts, join our email list LibreNet Commons

at LibreNet-Commons@groups.io

The LibreNet Commons group provides a central spot for discussing current and future features of the LibreTexts project and the LibreNet consortium. The discussion group also facilitates organization of new construction teams (for faculty, students and instructional designers) for building custom designed texts within the LibreTexts libraries.