autonum & Templates #Equations #Formatting #referencing #templates

Dorte Madsen

Hi Bob,

a) The formatting difference is because the automatic numbering uses the format from the title. The first example you use has the (correct) title format "11.2: Ion-Dipole Forces" while the second one has a - instead of a . : "14-4: Integrated Rate Law"
Fix the title and the numbering format will be consistent.

b) I can only answer this partially: Yes, you need a label because that is how the equation is referenced. So for example:
\[ E=mc^2 \label{EinsteinEq} \]
To reference this equation you have to use the command \ref like this: See equation \ref{EinsteinEq}

Someone else will have to answer the part about referencing across pages, I don't know.

c) No, you do not need to add anything

Robert Belford

I have some questions dealing with autonum and thought I'd post them to the forum.
(a) Why does the first page below show the Figure format of 11.2.2 ,
https://chem.libretexts.org/Courses/University_of_Arkansas_Little_Rock/Chem_1403%3A_General_Chemistry_2/Chapters/11._Intermolecular_Forces_and_Liquids/11.2%3A_Ion-Dipole_Forces
while this page is formated like 14-2.2
https://chem.libretexts.org/Courses/University_of_Arkansas_Little_Rock/Chem_1403%3A_General_Chemistry_2/Chapters/14%3A_Rates_of_Chemical_Reactions/14-4%3A_Integrated_Rate_Law

That is one page is #-#.# . while the other is #.#.#

(b)  if we want to link to an equation, do we still need \label{}, if the numbers are being autonumbered anyways?  .... So how do you link to an eq?  Especially if the link is from a different chapter?

(c) The  Template:BoxExercise states: "Add text here. For the automatic number to work, you need to add the "AutoNum" template (preferably at the end) to the page.", is this still needed?
Is there a tutorial on the use of the templates?