Re: McMurry Map Exercises-Solutions

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

I favor flexibility and allowing faculty to chose their preference.

However, having the questions in one area in a chapter provides that flexibility as we can transclude them back in.

If you want to keep a set of problems together with the page, one option is a subpage of each page with the select problems. See the Oregon Institute of Tech chem book.

https://chem.libretexts.org/Courses/Oregon_Institute_of_Technology/OIT%3A_CHE_202_-_General_Chemistry_II/Unit_3%3A_Periodic_Patterns

I added you guys to the the Construction Forum and the internal group discussions. By cc'ing the relevant groups in the email the discussions can be maintained for future review (to avoid repetition).

Delmar

On 2/13/2019 12:41 PM, Dr. Dietmar Kennepohl wrote:

1) I'm not convinced that exclusively putting all the exercises into one section on its own at the end of a chapter is optimal. I think when new concepts and content are introduced, having a couple of exercises in close proximity is helpful to the learning process. If there is too much separation I worry that it becomes harder for some students to 'get' the material. Even in the original McMurry text there are imbedded problems in the text of the chapter, as well as end-of-chapter exercises.

I would suggest we keep at least a couple of exercises in each section. We could then incorporate these (again) at the end of the chapter in its own section, while also providing additional questions that draw on multiple parts of the chapter and/or are cognitively higher order questions (rather than drills). It would allow all the questions to be in one area for those students who just want access to that without having to wade through all the text.

A big question here (Delmar) is what is the best strategy to house the exercises and solutions? Would it be one big chunk for each chapter? Or is there a way to tag individual questions, so profs using the McMurry map as a source for their own custom textbook could pick and choose what is included (via transclusion?). The former big-chunk methodology would be easier for us, but it would require instructors to either assign specific exercises by number or cut and paste individual exercises.

2) If you go to Section 5.2 (link below) and scroll down to Example 5.2.1, you will see a question and a hidden answer which is revealed when you click on it. You can create these yourself in the editing mode. Click on the "Elements" tab at the top of the page and select "Templates" from the menu that pops up. Then select the "AddDefinitionList" template from the drop down menu. the template will be embedded wherever your cursor was on the text of the page. You can then add your own content.

Cheers, Dietmar

  https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Organic_Chemistry/Map%3A_Organic_Chemistry_(McMurry)/Chapter_05%3A_Stereochemistry_at_Tetrahedral_Centers/5.02_The_Reason_for_Handedness_in_Molecules%3A_Chirality

chem.libretexts.org
A consideration of the chirality of molecular configurations explains the curious stereoisomerism observed for lactic acid, carvone and a multitude of other organic compounds.

Dr. Dietmar Kennepohl FCIC
Professor of Chemistry
Athabasca University

E-mail: dietmark@...