Re: McMurry Map Exercises-Solutions

Delmar Larsen <dlarsen@...>

I favor flexibility and allowing faculty to chose their preference.

However, having the questions in one area in a chapter provides that flexibility as we can transclude them back in.

If you want to keep a set of problems together with the page, one option is a subpage of each page with the select problems. See the Oregon Institute of Tech chem book.

https://chem.libretexts.org/Courses/Oregon_Institute_of_Technology/OIT%3A_CHE_202_-_General_Chemistry_II/Unit_3%3A_Periodic_Patterns

I added you guys to the the Construction Forum and the internal group discussions. By cc'ing the relevant groups in the email the discussions can be maintained for future review (to avoid repetition).

Delmar

On 2/13/2019 12:41 PM, Dr. Dietmar Kennepohl wrote:

1) I'm not convinced that exclusively putting all the exercises into one section on its own at the end of a chapter is optimal. I think when new concepts and content are introduced, having a couple of exercises in close proximity is helpful to the learning process. If there is too much separation I worry that it becomes harder for some students to 'get' the material. Even in the original McMurry text there are imbedded problems in the text of the chapter, as well as end-of-chapter exercises.

I would suggest we keep at least a couple of exercises in each section. We could then incorporate these (again) at the end of the chapter in its own section, while also providing additional questions that draw on multiple parts of the chapter and/or are cognitively higher order questions (rather than drills). It would allow all the questions to be in one area for those students who just want access to that without having to wade through all the text.

A big question here (Delmar) is what is the best strategy to house the exercises and solutions? Would it be one big chunk for each chapter? Or is there a way to tag individual questions, so profs using the McMurry map as a source for their own custom textbook could pick and choose what is included (via transclusion?). The former big-chunk methodology would be easier for us, but it would require instructors to either assign specific exercises by number or cut and paste individual exercises.

2) If you go to Section 5.2 (link below) and scroll down to Example 5.2.1, you will see a question and a hidden answer which is revealed when you click on it. You can create these yourself in the editing mode. Click on the "Elements" tab at the top of the page and select "Templates" from the menu that pops up. Then select the "AddDefinitionList" template from the drop down menu. the template will be embedded wherever your cursor was on the text of the page. You can then add your own content.

Cheers, Dietmar

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Organic_Chemistry/Map%3A_Organic_Chemistry_(McMurry)/Chapter_05%3A_Stereochemistry_at_Tetrahedral_Centers/5.02_The_Reason_for_Handedness_in_Molecules%3A_Chirality 

chem.libretexts.org
A consideration of the chirality of molecular configurations explains the curious stereoisomerism observed for lactic acid, carvone and a multitude of other organic compounds.

Dr. Dietmar Kennepohl FCIC
Professor of Chemistry
Athabasca University

E-mail: dietmark@...
URL: science.athabascau.ca/staff-pages/dietmark

Sent: February 13, 2019 7:45 AM
To: Dr. Dietmar Kennepohl; Kelly Matthews; Delmar Larsen; Daniel Berger
Subject: Re: McMurry text next steps

This message said that it failed to send, so if you get it twice, I apologize.

Layne

Exercises:

The following directions came from a calculus text, but it seems like it would be valuable to follow this idea for all texts and in our case, McMurry.

At this point, I'd like to see the exercise sets collected in one page at the end of each chapter, although those in Chapter 3 seem to be at the end of each section.  If these are unedited, you can pull those out to a single page like the others, if you have time.

Then for each set, please number the problems consecutively starting at 1.  I believe every odd question in this book has an answer.  Please place these in hidden Answer code below each question where a solution is provided.

What sounds like it may be helpful is to have for each chapter of McMurry a final section that is Exercises. And have the page transcluded directly from the Exercises source page. 
chem.libretexts.org
These are the homework exercises to accompany the Textmap for McMurry's Organic Chemistry textbook.

Dietmar - Is there a way to explain to everyone how to do this (transcluding content)? I have copied and pasted from one page to another, but never linked to the original page while editing.

I think Dietmar’s suggestion 3 is best. Let’s try to upload any missing images directly to the page as well as any images that don’t seem to follow standard image properties.

I think we all agreed to use ACS Document style 1996 which exists in ChemDraw and ChemDoodle - here are the details from ACS about this style in case you want to set it yourself in any program.

Chemical Structures

Prepare chemical structures according to the guidelines below. These parameters are specifically for ChemDraw (make sure to use the ACS-1996 document settings); authors using other drawing packages should adapt these parameters to their systems.

As drawing settings select:

Item   Settings
chain angle   120 degrees
bond spacing   18% of width
fixed length   14.4 pt (0.2 in.)
bold width   2.0 pt (0.0278 in.)
line width   0.6 pt (0.0083 in.)
margin width   1.6 pt (0.0222 in.)
hash spacing   2.5 (0.0345 in.)

As text settings select:

Item   Settings
font   Helvetica (Mac), Arial (PC)
size   10 pt
Under the preferences choose:
units   points
tolerances   3 pixels

I think the default would be to not show hydrogens on carbon unless that hydrogen is being discussed. Also not labeling any C unless there is an important reason. I think this is especially true after chapter 3 or 4 when the C and H labels are still being used to define structural aspects.
(an example of structures that should be replaced section 4.1 introduction where is shows the 4 cyclic alkanes

Dr. Layne A. Morsch
Department of Chemistry
The University of Illinois - Springfield
MS HSB 314
One University Plaza
Springfield, IL 62703
 lmorsc1@...
217-206-8487
--
This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please contact us immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communications received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.
---

Join main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.