Re: linking to equations

Seeburger, Paul (Mathematics)

Bob,

These do work great within the same page and they do renumber appropriately when transcluded, etc.

But there is not a very good method in place yet (that I am aware of) for referring reliably to equations or theorems in other sections of a book.  I think anchors and links have been used, but it's somewhat fragile, as it only works within a single book and breaks (or behaves in a likely undesirable way) when transcluding sections.  That method also does not auto-renumber the equation labels.

Paul

Paul Seeburger

Professor of Mathematics

Monroe Community College

1000 E. Henrietta Rd.

Rochester, NY  14623

585-292-2946

https://sites.monroecc.edu/multivariablecalculus/ (NSF Project website)

https://c3d.libretexts.org/CalcPlot3D/index.html (NSF Project Visualization JavaScript App)

From: main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io <main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Belford <rebelford@...>
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 4:45 PM
To: main@libretexts-constructionforum.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Libretexts-ConstructionForum] linking to equations

Warning: This email did not originate from the MCC Employee Email system. Please do not open attachments, click on links, or provide your credentials if the source is suspicious.

Should I be using \label{xyz} to tag the eq, and \ref{xyz} to call it?

and does that then work if someone else reuses it?

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 3:40 PM Robert Belford via groups.io <rebelford=ualr.edu@groups.io> wrote:
What is the best way to link to an equation, where the link has the equation number and it gets changed if someone reuses the page?  I thought we used to use labels, but I want to say, according to eq. 17.1, do this....  And if some reuses it, allow the numbering to realign.  

--
Dr. Robert E. Belford
Professor
UALR Department of Chemistry
501 916-6540

--
Dr. Robert E. Belford
Professor
UALR Department of Chemistry
501 916-6540

Join main@Libretexts-ConstructionForum.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.