Formatting code references not originally styled as code #Formatting

Ethan Turner

Hi all, I hope I'm asking this in the right place. I'm integrating a Java programming textbook and have been running into some uncertainties in formatting. In the original book, the author usesĀ bold text to highlight important phrases and a blue monospaced style for code in paragraphs. However, a different font is used to reference certain parts of the code without actually styling it as code. I've attached a screenshot to try and illustrate what I'm describing (null is in the monospaced style, and words like size, target, Node, and data are in the different font).

Any thoughts on how to format this? So far, I've stuck to using bold for those words as well. Should LaTeX be used to make them stand out better?
Best,
Ethan